Monday, December 4, 2023

Did the Superintendent Get His Revenge?

Written on 10-29-23.

        I am listening to the Broncos on my little radio, and they are beating the Chiefs on a Sunday afternoon.  Yes, the Broncos are beating the Chiefs!  Don’t adjust your screens.  The score is 21-9, and we have about seven minutes left.  Recently, when I have tuned in to hear the game, they give it up at the end.  Hopefully, they will hold on.

They won!  Mahomes went for it on a 4th and 20-something, and he threw an interception.  Go, Broncos!  The final score was 24-9.

I have a lot to catch up on in here.  I want to write about the Superintendent’s Revenge Tournament and what happened in that tournament.  I also want to write about the last round at Pinon Hills with Greg and Marc, the guy I replaced for that tournament.  I earned two birdies during that round, one on the difficult par four #3, and the other on the easier short par four #13.  Lastly, I want to write about the fitting I did for new irons at Dick’s with John and what we discovered.  Basically, the search for my new set of irons has been a bit of paralysis by analysis (Luke Tanner’s words).


Written on 10-30-23.


I am going to get right into the golf this time.  I play with Eric tomorrow, and it will be Halloween.  If I don’t get the stuff I mentioned above in here, it’s going to be spooky.

The Superintendent’s Revenge Tournament was...

fun.  I played with Greg Braum/McClurg, of course, and two others, Russel and Phil.  Russel is a retired teacher like me, and I found out Phil, who was a bit older, coached and taught in Jefferson County.  He worked at Oberon which fed into Arvada West and Pomona.  He knew Scott Smith because he coached tennis, too.  

He was our A player, for sure, but we all contributed.  Russel taught elementary school, but he also taught middle and high school for his career.  He said he taught Jetta’s son, Kyle, when he was a 2nd grade teacher.  We all got along great, and we worked together as a team to make decisions.

Some of the more memorable holes were #11 (we started on #10), #12, #13, #6, #7, #8, and #9.  On #11, they put the flag right behind the tree that normally guards the green.  This time, it guarded the hole!  Greg hit a tee shot that made it even with that tree, but it was out to the right of it.  We were able to pitch close to the hole and earn two pars.  This was a shamble, so we took the best tee shot on each hole, and then we each played in for our individual scores after that.  At the end, they took the best two scores from each hole for the tournament scores.  I also heard ten was the limit for everybody.  I thought that was high, but I found out why it was so high later in the tournament.

On #12, Greg hit the best tee shot left of the hole that was cut right off of the fringe and near the water.  He was on the green and closer than all of us.  All of our putts rolled to a collection area off the green!  We had to putt or chip over the fringe to make a par.  Fortunately, I was able to putt mine in, so we got a par and a bogey for our two best scores there.

#13’s pin position was just nuts.  They cut a larger hole, but that was for good reason.  Russel hit multiple (five?) putts that rolled near or around the larger hole and then came right back to where he started.  The hole was right on a slope.  I believe this hole produced our worse scores, two double bogeys.  

I didn’t really contribute much after that until hole #6.  I did make a well-judged putt on hole #5 to make a par, but not much else.  On #6, Russel struggled again with putting, but I was able to make a bogey.  I think Phil got a par.

On #7, #8, and #9, I came alive while the others melted a bit.  I managed two pars and a bogey.  The bogey felt like a birdie or a fantastic par save, though.  It was another ridiculous pin position that had Russel and Greg putting numerous times.  Thankfully and miraculously, my par putt somehow stopped a few inches left of the hole, so I quickly stepped over and putted it in!  Phil also managed a bogey.

I was glad I could help out, especially near the end, and I think I earned Phil and Russel’s respect.  Russel said numerous times that he enjoyed playing with us, and I heard later from Greg that he is pretty particular with the people he plays with.

I loved the challenge of this tournament.  They had us teeing off on many different slopes, downhill, uphill, and sidehill.  It brought out our athleticism, and that’s what I liked about it.  Can you do this?  Or, here’s a new challenge.  Can you rise to the challenge?  I wasn’t sure if we would place, but we managed 4th place in the 2nd flight, like I wrote above.  It was a tie, so each player receives $35.00 instead of $70.00.  I am thinking of a vest or maybe a discount on a new wedge.

No comments: