Sunday, December 10, 2023

The Last Two Birdies of 2023?

Continued from 10-30-23.

Now, for the latest two birdies.

Pinon Hills Golf Course-Hole #3-Birdie #6 of 2023


I am getting closer to double digits, but I am running out of months.  It’s getting colder, too, so I don’t know if I will get three more.  Tomorrow’s round might help.

My drive headed right, but it barely made the fairway on the left side.  I earned a point for that, because Eric and I were playing the 1, 2, 3 points game again (we played that a lot this year).  I chose my 7-iron for my approach, because the pin was on the front, and it landed on the green out to the right of the flag.  I had a 30-35 foot putt for my birdie, and Greg helped me with the read.  I put my putt further out to the right after seeing his putt fall below the hole.  It kept rolling and tracking, and then it fell into the hole.  That’s two birdies on this tough hole this year!


Pinon Hills Golf Course-Hole #13-Birdie #7 of 2023


Eric and I played our game, but we also challenged Greg and Marc to best ball match play.  We killed them, but Greg had his worst round of the season, and I thought Marc was supposed to be a near scratch player.  Russell and Greg said he was a good player.  He recently got over being sick, though, (remember I took his place at the Hillcrest tournament), and he had just returned from a trip to Italy, too.  He played...

decently, but next to Greg, he looked even better.  Sorry, Greg, but I know you would agree, too.

I used my driver to go for the green.  The wind was gusting behind us, so I thought I might make it.  I drop-kicked it, though, and it ended up in the middle of the fairway 80 yards away.  That’s a great example of a good miss.  

I talked to Eric about how making this approach should be easy, but because it’s so easy, that makes it more difficult.  How could someone miss a green after being in the fairway 80 yards out?  It’s been known to happen.

Thankfully, I made a smooth swing with my gap wedge, and I was below the hole with a straight putt from six feet.  Before I putted, I let Marc putt from off the green.  He used his “Texas wedge,” and he made it for a birdie!  That was pretty special, I thought.  

Eric went next.  He had pitched out from behind a tree to get back onto the fairway after a wayward tee shot.  Then he put his pitch onto the green, too.  His par putt mirrored mine from the other side of the hole.  He nearly holed it.

When it was finally my turn, I nailed my putt for a second birdie of the round.  I ended up shooting an 87.

I texted Luke Tanner to let him know I would not be coming to our planned fitting this Friday.  I am looking at upgrading my Wishon set if I can find a fitter.  I got an e-mail from them today, and they said they would be e-mailing Tom Wishon himself to see if he could help me out.  I am also intrigued with Takomo irons.  I like the looks and the price of those, too.


Until next time…

No comments: