Thursday, March 28, 2019

Jim Furyk and Sparking Joy


Written on 3-17-19.

     Happy St. Patrick’s Day!  I’ll start right away with an update on the summer institute.  I have decided to be the co-director with Frances after all, and we just had our first planning meeting on Friday.  We will meet again this Friday to continue, and I am very happy with my choice.  This institute will be very short, only two weeks/eight days.
     I am watching The Players.  It’s an exciting tournament with many players grouped up at the top of a crowded leaderboard at around 13 under, and Jim Furyk, a 48-year old, is competing really well with players half of his age like John Rahm, a 24-year old.  Some guy named Eddie Pepperell just finished at 14 under.  
I leave for Gallup today, but I am enjoying just relaxing, writing and watching right now, so I may not leave until the tournament’s over.  No hurry.  I’m mostly packed and ready to go.  
I haven’t written for a while, because I haven’t played.  For the entire month of February, I posted only excerpts from my original golf diary on my blog.  The reason I haven’t been playing is the weather.  We’ve had a record winter of moisture here in an area that’s suffered drought conditions for nearly a decade.  Belinda told me yesterday on our way to a funeral that Navajo Dam was 159% full.
     With the break from playing golf, I’ve gone a bit cuckoo with the Konmari Method.  I’ve used it to go through all of my clothes, and now I’ve also gone through my entire Star Wars collection.  Oh, I also spent one evening going through the stuff in my little bedside dresser.  Marie Kondo has joined Netflix with a season of “sparking joy” and tidying up others’ homes, and I thought why not use it myself; I’m not playing golf.  
     Sweet!  Jim Furyk just ended with a birdie on #18 to be the clubhouse leader.  Let’s see if it holds for him.
So, I thanked and then donated a large amount of clothes, and I also bought a few things to fill in some gaps when I was done.  My closet is complete, organized, and “joyful.”
     As for the Star Wars collection, I had never gone through it with a lens like the “sparking joy” lens before, and it really helped.  Why keep something if it doesn’t bring joy?  I’ve got a corner of our bedroom now filled with stuff that I am ready to thank and get rid of.  I’ve also organized the stuff I want to keep, and it’s mostly all back under the house in its new arrangement.  I say mostly, because the comic books are still out (on top of Kody’s crate that is not being used by him anymore) in a new comic book box, and I am reading some of them to reminisce.
     Well, the tournament is mostly over.  Rory is the winner at 16 under, but what a showing by Jim Furyk.  Jim just congratulated Rory as he was heading in to sign his scorecard.  Such a classy guy.  It’s 3:42, and I am mostly packed, so I will gather up the remaining things I need and hit the road.  

Until next time…

No comments: