Thursday, January 13, 2022

Christmas Plans and I Lose a Great Friend

Written on 12-5-21.

        It’s 20 days until Christmas, and we plan on going to Red Lobster again in Lakewood on the 19th.  We will be attending the new Meow Wolf Museum before that, and Joe, Darrell, Guy, and I are going to see Alameda High School just before they tear it down on the 18th, too.  How sad.   My high school is going to be demolished.  Despite that, it’s going to be a fun Christmas season!  I know Darrell is trying to organize a Guys’ Night Out for the 20th, also.

B and I are watching the Broncos play the Chiefs on NBC.  It’s the Sunday Night Football game, so we can watch this one from our bedroom.  Or, I am watching, and B is reading.  I just checked, and Viktor Hovland won the Hero World Challenge today.  He had back to back eagles on the final nine holes.  Impressive playing there.  It’s been exciting to hear about Tiger Woods and his recovery, also.  He was interviewed and even made some swings on the range while at the tournament.

One more bit of news is that the patio home that is joined together with Bev and Curt’s is becoming available.  This just happened yesterday, because they noticed that Wilma was moving some furniture out.  She is 94, and she is moving into a smaller, more assisted living place.  Could Mom and Dad possibly move there?  We shall see.   


On to golf…


What is the news here?  No...

new birdies.  Darn it.  I haven’t even played to be able to have a chance for a birdie.

I asked for a new Titleist hybrid bag for Christmas, and I also asked for three Kirkland wedges that come as a set: 52º, 56º, and 60º.  Those are sold at Costco, and I saw a YouTube review that sold me on them.  I would like some new wedges; my Wishon wedge is tired and slightly bent.

I went to the range yesterday and today, and I had great success this afternoon.  Yesterday, I was finding my swing and taking good divots.  Today, I played the back nine (in my imagination), and I did really well, including a stellar approach on the par three #15.

I was trying out the stack and tilt driver swing, but I just didn’t have much luck with it.  I had trouble pointing my shoulder at the ball on the back swing and then getting my timing correct on the down swing after that.  I also struggled with my head staying back and my hips coming up and facing the target.  I am sure it is something that is simple to do, but I need a teacher to show me how.  

Instead, I went back to making accurate contact and setting up for a draw.  I did take videos of some of those, so I could see if I am coming over the top.  Hopefully, it’s not too ugly.

I did some putting yesterday, and I experimented with “left hand low.”  I struggled with this new concept, too.  It was difficult to make proper contact for longer distances.  As soon as I switched back to the “left hand high,” I did much better.  It is fun to experiment, and I will never know if I don’t, right?

Today, I practiced getting up and down, and it was really fun.  I got up and down six times in a row, and one of them was incredible.  It was in a spongy, half-buried lie below the green, and I scooped it out and got it near the hole.  I also made some longer, clutch putts from five and seven feet to keep the streak going.  I think I will stick with “left hand high” for now.

I have been watching videos about PXG irons recently, too, and those are the irons I am craving…for the moment.  I am getting great results with my Wishon irons, but I have lost my friend and club-fitter.  Sigh.  I never wrote it in here, but Don Greenwood died from a stroke (or multiple strokes) deep in his brain.  He was a great friend, and I am missing him tremendously.  I did get to stop by and visit with his wife, Julie, to send my sympathies.


Until next time…

No comments: