Thursday, March 31, 2011

A Bit More About the Golf Team Kids and Match Play with Bruce

When I’ve played with the kids on the golf team, they don’t all know how to mark their golf balls properly.  They don’t know to be ready when it’s their turn to expedite play.  They don’t know that they can use their putters from just off the green if they want to.  Putters are for putting surfaces only.  Anything off the green must require a wedge, right?  It’s things like this that help me to realize how far I’ve come, and yes, I am not a club champ or a scratch golfer yet, but I’ve learned so much, and I have come so far.  

*Danielle just took over driving at Saguache.  She said she was tired, but I told her to tough it out.  I did say, however, that if she really is too tired to drive to please let me know.  We are close to the spot where James fell asleep with his eyes open in our old silver F-150 and almost went off the road.   James is taking a break now.
   
    Bruce and I had a great match on a Sunday recently.  I thought we had tied when it was all over, but no.  One of us won, and I just didn’t pay attention when it was all over.  We did tie on stroke play, though, with a 43 each on the front nine.  Here‘s the quick play by play. 
    He suggested match play, and I thought that was great since it was still early on in the season and Accenture Match Play had just been on television recently, although I did somehow miss watching all of it this year. 
    We were even after hole #1 with two pars, but he quickly took the lead on hole #2 with a bogey to my double bogey.  On hole #3, he extended his lead with a par to my bogey.  I stayed at two down on hole #4 with a bogey to match his bogey.  He extended his lead again on hole #5 with his fourth four in a row on his scorecard, a birdie to my par.  Dang it!  I was three down.  I would have to crawl my way out, and I knew we were only playing nine holes. 
    On hole #6, I got a par to Bruce’s double.  I remember this hole because I missed the green long, and he was on in regulation.  I told him I felt I needed to chip mine in to have a chance at all to even win the match.  We were almost dormie in the match.  I had to win all the holes to dig out of this mess to have a chance at winning at all.  Tying on any of the remaining holes would not work.  If he had won this hole, I would have been four down with only three to play.  Yep, I had to win from now on in.  Amazingly, he putted his ball off the green from the middle over to the left side.  I chipped close and made my par.  He got a double.  I was back to two down, but with three to still play. 
    On #7, I earned a par to his bogey, and on the next hole my bogey was good enough to beat his double, so we were all square with one hole left to play. 
    On #9, I was on the green in regulation.  He was in the front right bunker in two.  A tie would have been fine with me.  Usually, I always want to win, but to come back and tie against Bruce Almighty would have felt like a victory to me. 
    I guess it was that kind of thinking that made me think we really had tied after he putted out, but he politely told me he had won that last hole with a par after I told him that tying was good with me.  I triple-putted from well above the hole leaving my first putt short, and so I got a bogey, and I knew that was my score, but I thought he had bogeyed also.  No, he had not.  He got up and in in three shots, so he really did win.  Darn it!

No comments: